sound distribution practices

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Apr 8 19:10:08 UTC 2012

On Sun, Apr 08, 2012 at 08:42:21PM +0200, Moritz Lenz wrote:
> On 04/08/2012 06:53 PM, Alessandro Ghedini wrote:
> >>
> >> We'll work on removing the libtomath and dyncall sources from NQP
> >> tarballs, or make it very easy for NQP to ignore those sources.
> >
> > Thanks. As far as I'm concerned something simple as a Configure.pl option (say,
> > --use-system-libraries) or an environment variable would do
>
> Unfortunately from our point of view it's not that simple, because we
> have some patches to those libs; we'll try to push them upstream, but
> it'll take some time to do that and to get them all accepted.

Jonathan Worthington also tells me (and thus I'm passing along to
this list for information) that the libs bundled with nqp are
statically linked in the executables, so at present there's no real
version or installation conflict with any system versions
of the same libraries.

We recognize this isn't ideal and will likely work to change it,
but apparently it's not as simple or trivial as just saying "use
the system-installed versions of the libraries".

Pm