C warnings: which merit cage-cleaning?

Andy Lester andy at petdance.com
Thu Aug 16 03:21:38 UTC 2012

On Aug 15, 2012, at 9:25 PM, James E Keenan <jkeen at verizon.net> wrote:

> Tonight I had occasion to grep for the C warnings generated while running 'make' for each of the whiteknight/io_cleanup1 and threads branches.
>
> io_cleanup1:  http://nopaste.snit.ch/157224
> threads:  http://nopaste.snit.ch/157225

For me, these are the ones I go after (the warning messags, not specific instances)

403:src/interp/api.c:992: warning: control reaches end of non-void function
420:src/nci/libffi.c:482: warning: 'nci_arg' may be used uninitialized in this function
466:src/platform/generic/cpu_type.c:48: warning: initialization discards qualifiers from pointer target type
484:src/io/filehandle.c:780: warning: cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type
499:src/io/api.c:1210: warning: ignoring return value of 'io_verify_has_read_buffer', declared with attribute warn_unused_result
516:src/pmc/key.c:636: warning: 'ret' may be used uninitialized in this function
573:src/pmc/packfileannotation.c:355: warning: 'ret' may be used uninitialized in this function
592:src/pmc/socket.c:856: warning: cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type

The "may be used uninitialized" are a pretty big deal.  "Discards qualifiers" means that we're passing around const pointers to functions that may modify them.

This one: "ignoring return value of 'io_verify_has_read_buffer', declared with attribute warn_unused_result"  Is the function being called incorrectly?

xoa

--
Andy Lester => andy at petdance.com => www.petdance.com => AIM:petdance