Parrot threads as default

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Tue Dec 18 01:06:30 UTC 2012

Am I correct in thinking that Parrot now builds with threads by default?
  I.e., that if you *don't* want to build with threads you have to
explicitly opt-out by saying:

   perl Configure.pl --without-threads

I ask as a relatively threads-ignorant person (which I think most
software developers probably are).  For example, I have never built a
threaded Perl 5, nor, to the best of my knowledge, have I ever run on
one.  And during the many months in which the threads branch was under
development, I was mainly concerned with one question:  Which tests were
breaking?

So, I would welcome a presentation -- and perhaps inclusion in our
documentation -- of issues such as:

* Why does Parrot now build with threads by default?

* What exactly does "building Parrot with threads" mean?

* Under what circumstances would you want to build '--without-threads'?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan