Handling non-standard integer types

Jonathan Worthington jonathan at jnthn.net
Sun Feb 12 17:12:13 UTC 2012

On 2/12/2012 5:53 PM, Jonathan "Duke" Leto wrote:
> 3) sounds the most reasonable to get something done in the near future.
> whiteknight++ is right in that a PMC will be slower, but let's cross
> that optimization bridge when we get there.
It's not just optimization, it's also about code generation, box/unbox
handling, natively typed attributes and lexicals, and probably much
more. The future technical debt we get with this option ain't worth it -
neither for Rakudo nor for Parrot.

> These kind of needs are the kind of thing that will influence the design
> of M0 (no, I haven't given up on that), so I would also like to hear a
> detailed explanation from Rakudo folk about *exactly* what they want and
> need.
Well, in this case I'd say M0 needs to mostly decouple various things
that Parrot couples (like register size and opcode size), and actually
have some notion of native type system, so it is aware of different
integer sizes and signednesses. That probably means leaving the notion
of "4 register types to rule them all" behind, if that didn't already
happen.

/jnthn