threads branch

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Sat Jul 7 13:53:00 UTC 2012

On 7/7/12 8:42 AM, Andrew Whitworth wrote:
> I am doing final testing on the threads branch today and I would like
> to get it merged into master soon. I've built and tested Parrot,
> Winxed, Rosella, NQP and am currently in the middle of testing Rakudo.
> If all goes well, and if there are no complaints, I would like to
> merge this branch before the end of the weekend, today preferrably.

Andrew,

I registered a complaint about the threads branch several weeks ago.  In
response to a #parrot privmsg from you, I sent you email on June 28
which included the following:

"When I tested the threads branch on Darwin/PPC, there was a stretch of
about 8 tests in one file which caused 'make test' to grind to an
absolute halt.  My laptop did not freeze, but 'make test' just silently
stopped.

I take this to be a message from the canary in the coal mine.  I am much
more skeptical of the threads branch than I am of, say, your io_cleanup1
branch.  I would be very reluctant to see it merged into master because
it would be another step down the road to Parrot's becoming a
"runs-on-any-OS-provided-that-OS-is-Linux" application."

> Please Please PLEASE let me know if anybody would like more time to do
> more vigorous testing of any variety.

I note that since June 28 there has been only one commit to the threads
branch and I never got a response to that email.  I would infer from
this that the branch is relatively unchanged over the past month.
Hence, I suspect that when I build and test this branch -- which I am
trying now -- the results will not be good.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan