threads branch

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Sat Jul 7 14:31:44 UTC 2012

On 7/7/12 8:42 AM, Andrew Whitworth wrote:

> Please Please PLEASE let me know if anybody would like more time to do
> more vigorous testing of any variety.

Testing on Linux/i386, with Parrot built as follows:

--cc=g++ --link=g++ --ld=g++

... and running a smolder test with TEST_JOBS=4, the test suite failed
to complete because it was hung on 't/pmc/nci.t' -- the same file that
caused problems for me on Darwin/PPC.  This is a regression from my
testing of this branch in early June.

Through 'ps aux', I noted these processes as hanging:

/usr/local/bin/perl t/pmc/nci.t
./parrot -D40 --gc-debug /home/jimk/gitwork/parrot/t/pmc/nci_44.pir

Running the latter, I got this output:

$ ./parrot -D40 --gc-debug /home/jimk/gitwork/parrot/t/pmc/nci_44.pir
created a callback sub
loaded a function that takes a callback
in callback
user data: 42
external data: 111
the callback has run

When I ran '/usr/local/bin/perl t/pmc/nci.t' by itself, the file ran
successfully.

I then re-ran 'make test', but this time with 'TEST_JOBS=1'.  This time,
'make test' completed successfully.  I then re-ran 'make TEST_JOBS=4
test' and got a successful run.

So, I'm getting inconsistent results with the threads branch,
particularly with respect to t/pmc/nci.t.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan