4.6 prep next week, Re: whiteknight/io_cleanup1 branch ready for testing

Reini Urban rurban at x-ray.at
Thu Jul 12 16:43:07 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Andrew Whitworth
<wknight8111 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Reini Urban <rurban at x-ray.at> wrote:
>> whiteknight: Is this doable this week?
>
> No. io_cleanup1 is not ready. I have one genuine bug/regression still
> involving readline on sockets which is breaking Rakudo spectests. I
> have a solution in mind, but making it work is going to take more time
> than I have this week. io_cleanup1 probably will be merged late next
> week.

So post-4.6, fine.

> threads, as you mentioned, is also not ready for merging because of
> some failures we've seen on PPC and other weird platforms.

The PPC issue smells like concurrent access to some unsafe
shared os code or data, so I believe it can be fixed by adjusting the test,
to avoid parallelness in some sections.
But we really need to have access to a PPC machine to be sure.
--
Reini Urban
http://cpanel.net/   http://www.perl-compiler.org/