whiteknight/io_cleanup1 branch needs feedback (and help!)

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 00:34:12 UTC 2012

I've been working hard this week on the whiteknight/io_cleanup1
branch. This is essentially a huge rewrite of the IO subsystem to
start fixing some of the largest problems with it. This is the first
and the largest stage of a series of planned upgrades to IO.

In the branch the build does not complete, though it does get most of
the way through. The parrot binary, parrot-nqp and winxed all build.
Coretest runs but there are several failures which I have not
addressed yet. Some bits of functionality have not yet been
implemented, or if implemented are not tested (seek, peek and tell
operations on FileHandle, most operations on Pipes and sockets)

There are two things I would like: First, feedback on the branch
including the architecture, organization, algorithms, and other
details. Second, I could really use some help debugging the build
failures, fixing broken tests (especially codestd tests, which have
been neglected so far) and testing.

Thanks,