Why do we install .dump files?

Allison Randal allison at parrot.org
Sun Jun 3 13:08:13 UTC 2012

On 06/02/2012 08:07 PM, James E Keenan wrote:
> When I configure with a prefix, build and install, 95 '.dump' files are
> installed (see
> https://github.com/parrot/parrot/issues/512#issuecomment-5958144).  Why?
>
> Those '.dump' files are Perl Storable files -- a file format not
> readable by Parrot.  If they're not readable, they would seem to be of
> no subsquent use to the installed Parrot.

They're required for building PMCs that inherit from Parrot core PMCs.
They were only supposed to be installed with make install-dev, but then
someone changed the default install to pull in install-dev.

We don't install all the .dump files, only the ones that certain
languages needed to build. They aren't needed at all for running Parrot,
only for building a language.

One possible solution is to stop using .dump files in the PMC build
process. It's one of the ugliest parts of the build process.

Allison