The upcoming June 19, 2012 release

Alvis Yardley ac.yardley at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 23:05:33 UTC 2012

    Duke> Howdy, I know this is a non-code related "goal", but I am going to
    Duke> suggest this:

    Duke> We get the occasional IRC visitor asking about information that has
    Duke> somehow gotten to parrotblog.org instead of parrot.org documentation
    Duke> when doing a search. For instance, searching for "parrot parser" on
    Duke> Google shows a parrotblog.org link higher than a parrot.org
    Duke> link. Thankfully, DuckDuckGo.com knows better and shows parrot.org
    Duke> higher on the same search, but few people know the delight of using
    Duke> DDG and are still stuck with the Google Filter.

    Duke> For every IRC visitor that asks us on IRC where the new docs are
    Duke> located, there are probably 10 that give up and start learning about
    Duke> Java. (The horror!)

    Duke> What can we do to make this situation better for the June 19th
    Duke> release?

    Duke> 1) Remove/redirect/nuke from space parrotblog.org

I suggested this back in January or so, but cotto elected to post a notice,
redirecting folks to parrot.org or planet.parrot.org. See
http://www.parrotblog.org.

Fwiw, I agree with Duke. I think the confusion to folks, searching for
information about Parrot, far exceeds the benefits of continuity. At least in
this instance.

My preference would be a redirect for a period of time, say, six months or so,
then pull it down. We can, if need be, archive it on github. (Or, I suspect,
we can.)

Note: This, however, requires someone with administrative
privileges. <Hint. Hint.>

    Duke> 2) Improve the search-friendliness of parrot.github.com and
    Duke> parrot.org

What, specifically, do you mean? Some kinda google (maybe duckduckgo ... I
don't know) search engine type thingy? If so, http://docs.parrot.org/ should
be doable, but I have no idea about how to do this with
http://parrot.github.com. Do you have a reference? Alternatively, I can
certainly advance the issue with the folks at github.

On a related note, I've been thinking, rather seriously, about how to build a
concordance/index of all of our docs and, then, how to use this to
integrate a lookup and display in a winxed interactive shell, well,
...  a REPL, really. I'll probably use Rosella, since it's already got most of
the pieces already in place.

This said, it'll be months, e.g., two, three ... four, before I'll have
anything together.

    Duke> 3) ?

Nuke everything related to Parrot on wikibooks'. Fwiw, I sent a couple of
emails, several months back, one of which bounced, inquiring just how to do
this. I'll try to be more diligent and get this 'un done.

Any other opinions or ideas?

--
Alvis