Why do we install .dump files?

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Thu Jun 7 01:42:37 UTC 2012

On 6/6/12 9:24 PM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> With respect to .dump files:  HLL developers don't really care
> about the .dump files themselves; mainly we just need to know
> the correct procedure to compile and run dynops and dynpmcs
> for our languages.  (Or, if dynops/dynpmcs disappear someday, how
> do we achieve their equivalent functionality?)  We depend on
> the tools -- that's the part we know about -- and the tools
> apparently depend on the .dump files.  So they are a dependency
> one level removed from what HLL designers care about and work with.

I don't know enough about dynops or dynpmcs to write documentation about
them.  But, can I ask you to at least name the tools you are referring to?

That way, should I decide to embark on a refactoring of some of them --
pmc2c.pl in particular -- at least I'll be better positioned to identify
the point at which I measure the "do-no-harm" factor.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan