Why do we install .dump files?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jun 7 02:28:18 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 09:42:37PM -0400, James E Keenan wrote:
> On 6/6/12 9:24 PM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >We depend on
> >the tools -- that's the part we know about -- and the tools
> >apparently depend on the .dump files.  So they are a dependency
> >one level removed from what HLL designers care about and work with.
>
> I don't know enough about dynops or dynpmcs to write documentation
> about them.  But, can I ask you to at least name the tools you are
> referring to?

Based on my reading of the Makefiles, these are the tools or
programs that Rakudo and/or NQP depend on directly:

    $(PARROT_BIN_DIR)/parrot
    $(PARROT_BIN_DIR)/pbc_to_exe
    $(PARROT_BIN_DIR)/ops2c$(EXE)
    $(PARROT_TOOLS_DIR)/build/pmc2c.pl

The pmc2c.pl tools seems to also want to access files from

    $(PARROT_SRC_DIR)
    $(PARROT_SRC_DIR)/pmc

The C compiler commands for files coming from pmc2c.pl and ops2c
make reference to:

    $(PARROT_INCLUDE_DIR)
    $(PARROT_INCLUDE_DIR)/pmc

The above PARROT_*_DIR macros all expand to subdirectories of
the install directory -- typically this is:

    PARROT_BIN_DIR=$(INSTALL)/bin
    PARROT_TOOLS_DIR==$(INSTALL)/lib/parrot/$(VERSION)
    PARROT_SRC_DIR=$(INSTALL)/src/parrot/$(VERSION)
    PARROT_INCLUDE_DIR=$(INSTALL)/include/parrot/$(VERSION)

Hope this helps,

Pm