Build broken on Debian Testing (linker trouble)

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Sat Jun 9 17:42:45 UTC 2012

On 6/9/12 1:25 PM, Nick Wellnhofer wrote:

> The problem is that Parrot's build system defaults to Perl's compiler
> flags. I guess that's where the "pie" flags come from. For a quick fix,
> one could add some code to the build system that removes those flags.
> For a real solution, Parrot should provide it's own compiler flags. I
> started some work in this direction quite a while ago in branch
> nwellnhof/compiler_flags.

I remember that branch!  It still builds:
http://smolder.parrot.org/app/projects/report_details/29368

> But I didn't get much feedback and support,
> and this is something that has to be tested on all supported platforms.

Yes, it is quite a formidable task.  The number of people who are expert
on the subject of compiler flags is not large, and when you contemplate
crossing platforms that number gets still smaller.

 From what (little) I could understand by looking at that Debian
correspondence, it appears the problem of 'pie' flags is difficult even
for them!

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan