tools/dev/pbc_to_exe.pir: Untracked working file error message

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Sat Jun 9 17:57:36 UTC 2012

Twice today, on different machines, I have been in a position where I
wanted to switch from master to a different branch, only to get an error
message like this:

$  git checkout -b nwellnhof/compiler_flags origin/nwellnhof/compiler_flags
error: Untracked working tree file 'tools/dev/pbc_to_exe.pir' would be
overwritten by merge.

This is a new error.  Looking into tools/dev/pbc_to_exe.pir, I see:

$ head tools/dev/pbc_to_exe.pir
# THIS IS A GENERATED FILE! DO NOT EDIT!
# Compiled with Winxed 1.9.0
# Source file: tools/dev/pbc_to_exe.winxed
# Begin generated code

Moving that file out of the way permits the git checkout to proceed --
but I doubt that's the best solution.

What should we do?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan