tools/dev/pbc_to_exe.pir: Untracked working file error message

Jonathan "Duke" Leto jonathan at leto.net
Sat Jun 9 19:43:32 UTC 2012

Howdy,

> $  git checkout -b nwellnhof/compiler_flags origin/nwellnhof/compiler_flags
> error: Untracked working tree file 'tools/dev/pbc_to_exe.pir' would be
> overwritten by merge.
>
> This is a new error.  Looking into tools/dev/pbc_to_exe.pir, I see:

In general, Git tries very hard to not lose your data, so this is it
being very prudent and telling you that a file that is not versioned
would be overwritten by checking out the other branch. Yeah, it talks
about a merge, even though you are doing a checkout, because under the
hood, checkout uses merge.

This is happening because tools/dev/pbc_to_exe.pir used to be
hand-written code (and still is in the compiler_flags branch) but it
was recently ported to Winxed, so it is now generated code (in
master).

There are at least 2 ways around this:

1) rm tools/dev/pbc_to_exe.pir && git checkout ...
2) Merge master into nwellnhof/compiler_flags

My vote would be #2, but I will leave it up to Nick, since it is his branch.

Duke

--
Jonathan "Duke" Leto <jonathan at leto.net>
Leto Labs LLC http://labs.leto.net