Build broken on Debian Testing (linker trouble)

Nick Wellnhofer wellnhofer at aevum.de
Mon Jun 11 09:53:48 UTC 2012

On 09/06/2012 21:36, Jonathan "Duke" Leto wrote:
>> The problem is that Parrot's build system defaults to Perl's compiler flags.
>> I guess that's where the "pie" flags come from. For a quick fix, one could
>> add some code to the build system that removes those flags. For a real
>> solution, Parrot should provide it's own compiler flags. I started some work
>> in this direction quite a while ago in branch nwellnhof/compiler_flags. But
>> I didn't get much feedback and support, and this is something that has to be
>> tested on all supported platforms.
>
> Your branch is important and I hereby declare that I will help you test it on
> as many platforms that I have access to. The GCC compile farm has just about
> every platform that we support, but not every OS.
>
> Please let me know how I can help.

We should test the branch on all "core platforms" which are: Linux
(x86), Win32 (x86), OS X (x86 and PPC), Cygwin, FreeBSD (x86), NetBSD,
OpenBSD, Solaris. Ideally both with and without ICU.

I tested the branch on Linux, and can offer to test it on Windows (MSVC,
MinGW and Cygwin).

If we don't find enough testers, we could also merge the branch and wait
until someone complains ;)

Nick