[M0] Register sizes and types

Gerhard R. gerd.r.devel at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 19 13:18:24 UTC 2012

> So, to cut a long story short, my question refers to types that will
> be supported in M0. Will it be possible to have 32-bit only types?
> What about unsigned? I understand this mightn't be specced, but I hope
> that M1's progress and the momentum that we're having with this will
> push up the priority of these issues.

There's no need to have different types for signed and unsigned
integers, and many (most?) low-level representations don't - you just
need different ops for signed/unsigned division and modulus and you're
ready to go. M1 can of course make this distinction.

As I understand it, integer types of different sizes will be supported
via typed memory access (get/set word/byte), which needs to be
supplemented by fixed-width ops (among others). All arithemtics is
done using a single precision.

Gerhard R.