4.5.0 Parrot "Buff-faced Pygmy Parrot" Released!

Alvis Yardley ac.yardley at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 21:50:51 UTC 2012

    In honor of M0: "The tiny bird, which is not much bigger than an adult
    person's thumb, is smaller than some of the insects with which it shares
    the forest. On average, buff-faced pygmy parrots (Micropsitta pusio) stand
    less than 9cm tall and weigh 11.5g (0.41oz)" --BBC Earth News
    (http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_8236000/8236410.stm)

On behalf of the Parrot team, I'm proud to announce Parrot 4.5.0, also known
as "Buff-faced Pygmy Parrot".  Parrot (http://parrot.org/) is a virtual
machine aimed at running all dynamic languages.

Parrot 4.5.0 is available on Parrot's FTP site
(ftp://ftp.parrot.org/pub/parrot/releases/devel/4.5.0/), or by following the
download instructions at http://parrot.org/download.  For those who would like
to develop on Parrot, or help develop Parrot itself, we recommend using Git to
retrieve the source code to get the latest and best Parrot code.

Parrot 4.5.0 News:
    - Core
        + Added .write_bytes and .read_bytes methods to FileHandle and Socket
          PMCs.
        + Added Parrot_api_set_stdhandle, Parrot_api_new_call_object and
          Parrot_api_setup_signature functions to the embedding API
        + Removed the "can" VTABLE
    - Languages
      + Winxed snapshot updated to 1.9.1
        - New syntax for parameters in multi
        - New syntax for initalization with new
        - Cast to var improved
    - IMCC
        + Removed .line, .file, setline and setfile directives from IMCC
    - Documentation
        + Fixed up Pod in 240 files to pass 't/codingstd/pod_description.t'.
    - Tests
        + Added 'docs/pdds' and 'docs/pdds/draft' as files for
          'Parrot::Test::Pod.pm' to exclude.
    - Build
        + Reduced number of packages under 'lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/'.
        + Added method-level documentation to several of the remaining packages.
        + Added 'docs/pdds' and 'docs/pdds/draft' as files for
          'Parrot::Test::Pod.pm' to exclude.
    - Community
        + M1, a C-like language that targets M0 had a burst of development
          and now has many working examples such as recursive Fibonacci and
          recursive factorial : https://github.com/parrot/m1
        + Parrot bindings to LAPACK are being worked on as part of Google
          Summer of Code: https://github.com/leto/parrot-lapack

The SHA256 message digests for the downloadable tarballs are:

e675ce8ba85b6172c8364f33946a1cf5c600b0b21666451b755e30073f8e2e8a
parrot-4.5.0.tar.gz
74996076eb9dbe0f2442e0ae9c0cb5c3e9d5f49a266368eee01f4ab30c6d2808
parrot-4.5.0.tar.bz2

Reini Urban (or a delegate) will release Parrot 4.6.0, the next scheduled
monthly release, on July 17th 2012.

Many thanks to all our contributors for making this possible, and our sponsors
for supporting this project.

Enjoy!

--
Alvis