[Pkg-parrot-devel] Parrot 4.3.0 build failure on ia64

Alessandro Ghedini al3xbio at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 10:35:14 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 10:48:29AM -0700, Jonathan "Duke" Leto wrote:
> Howdy,

Hi,

> I have not been able to reproduce this behavior, but I did find an
> interesting bug that may be contributing to this:
>
> https://github.com/parrot/parrot/issues/792
>
> Basically, it seems like Debians ia64 build box has some type of
> locked-down chroot/jail config where various binaries that are usually
> present on Linux are missing (most notably /sbin/sysctl ). This in
> turn is probably confusing Parrot about what kind of architecture it
> is building on, which in turn *may* be making it Parrot think it is
> building on plain Linux instead of ia64, causing this bit of
> platform-dependent ASM to not be used correctly:
>
> https://github.com/parrot/parrot/blob/master/src/platform/ia64/asm.s

AFAICT that happens on all the other platforms too, and didn't cause any problem
in the past (i.e. 4.0.0 and earlier built fine even on ia64). Though if that's
really the problem, fixing it would just be a matter of build depending on the
package that brings in sysctl (I can't tell why this hasn't been done before,
I'm sort of new to parrot packaging).

> This is my current hunch. If you can provide the full output of
> "parrot_config --dump" on the porterbox, that may be able to tell us
> what we need to know to fix this.

Well, the ia64 porterbox has sysctl, and that may explain why I wasn't able to
reproduce it. But it still sounds quite weird...

At this point the failure may even be caused by some weirdness in the buildd. I
will see if the Debian ia64 have anything to say, and maybe ask to build parrot
on a different buildd (which is something I would have liked to do way earlier,
if a lot of "todo" stuff didn't get in the way).

Thank you for all your help :)

Cheers

--
perl -E '$_=q;$/= @{[@_]};and s;\S+;<inidehG ordnasselA>;eg;say~~reverse'