Parrot Runtime Library

Christoph Otto christoph at mksig.org
Wed Mar 21 18:15:01 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012, at 11:59, Andrew Whitworth wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Moritz Lenz
> <moritz at faui2k3.org> wrote:
> > I have tried to use the Pg lib to make a Perl 6 module that
> > interfaces with postgres. I've written a number of tickets about it
> > (I specifically remember some instabilities, and the inabiilty to
> > report errors properly).
> >
> > As it is, it's not very useful, but it could be, if anybody ever got
> > around to maintain it. I'd really appreciate that.
>
> There is a PL/Parrot project in the ecosystem which is probably a
> better home for this module than the parrot core repo. If it's going
> to get any love at all, that's where it would happen.

If Parrot's intended as a foundation for HLLs and libraries, we should
only keep libraries in core that match one of the following criteria:
The library should be necessary for the Parrot build, be something
that we expect most HLLs to use as-is, or show library hackers how to
do something that they'd have trouble finding elsewhere.  I'm happy
moving anything else into a separate repo, either a junk drawer or a
dedicated project.

As an aside, I'm more than happy to see such projects added to
all_hll_test (which we can rename to test_all_the_things or something
more appropriate) so that they're less likely to end up bitrotted.