Parrot Runtime Library

Allison Randal allison at parrot.org
Wed Mar 21 18:30:08 UTC 2012

On 03/21/2012 11:15 AM, Christoph Otto wrote:

> If Parrot's intended as a foundation for HLLs and libraries, we should
> only keep libraries in core that match one of the following criteria:
> The library should be necessary for the Parrot build, be something
> that we expect most HLLs to use as-is, or show library hackers how to
> do something that they'd have trouble finding elsewhere.  I'm happy
> moving anything else into a separate repo, either a junk drawer or a
> dedicated project.

+1 to clearing out unused/unmaintained libraries. In the Debian/Ubuntu
packages I don't install the full Parrot library, I only install:

Test/*
Data/*
dumper.pir
dumper.pbc
Getopt/Obj.pbc
distutils.pbc
HLL.pbc
Regex.pbc
P6Regex.pbc
PCT.pbc
PCT/*
P6object.pbc
Parrot/Exception.pbc
config.pir
config.pbc
nqp-setting.pbc
opsc.pbc
PGE.pbc
PGE/*
TGE.pbc

This is a carefully grown list starting with an absolute minimum, and
adding over the years as various languages complain that they need X or
Y library to build or run. I imagine even some of those could be deleted
or moved to separate repos now, as various toolkits and language
implementations have changed their dependencies. I'd be happy to
volunteer TGE for the chopping block.

I'm also happy to help any of the new separate libraries in setting up
their Debian/Ubuntu packaging so they can be easily pulled in as
automatic dependencies.

Allison