Merge of 'ayardley/READMEs'

Alvis Yardley ac.yardley at gmail.com
Wed May 9 20:07:56 UTC 2012

All,

I would like to merge 'ayardley/READMEs', if there are no objections.

The branch makes the following changes:

1. Updates all, except for the five files delineated below, 'README' files
(and one 'README.md' file) to 'README.pod' files;

2. Adds (often just skeleton) 'README.pod' files to the top-level directories,
with one exception delineated below; and

3. Updates several tests, e.g., 't/tools/install/02-install_files.t', to use
the new, main 'README.pod' file rather than the main 'README' file;

The branch passes 'make fulltest' and 'prove t/tools/install/02-install_files.t'.

I. The 'README' files I did NOT update are as follows:

1. 'examples/languages/abc/README'    - This 'README' file is generated via
one of Parrot's auto-gen scripts, e.g., 'mk_language_shell.pl'. Given this, it
does not seem sensible to update the 'README' to a 'README.pod' file. (Unless,
of course, we want to alter the script to generate 'README.pod' files, which I
am willing to do if folks think this is TRTTD.)

2. 'examples/languages/squaak/README' - Same as (1) above.

3. 'examples/pir/befunge/README'      - I'm just not certain about this
'README' file, but it is, nonetheless, the 'README' to another language, so I
left it alone.

4. 'ext/nqp-rx/README'                - nqp-rx is NOT copyrighted under the
Parrot Foundation; rather, P. Michaud retains the copyright to the product,
although it is released under the Artistic 2.0 license. Consequently, I do not
feel comfortable updating this file. (If, however, P. Michaud gives me the go
a'head, then I'll update it.)

5. 'ports/cygwin/README'              - This 'un just seems a'bit pointless;
but, if folks want me to update it, I will. Someone, however, needs to let me know.

   Note: 'ports/cygwin/README' should, probably, be broken out with something
         more a'kin to a changelog, a log file, and a 'README.pod' file.

II. The top-level directory with out a 'README.pod' file is the 'blib/'
directory. While I wrote one for this directory, the 'make realclean/make'
process, evidently, blew it away. So, I've left it out.

   Note: I can probably figure out how to keep it or, alternatively,
         regenerate it, if folks view this as desirable.

I look forward to any and to all comments.

Thank you.
--
Alvis