threads branch: test failures on darwin/intel

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Wed Sep 5 02:24:46 UTC 2012


Sorry to be the repeat bearer of bad news about the threads branch, but ...

In recent weeks I have had access to a Darwin/Intel box -- not my 
beloved and ancient Mac OS X 10.4 running Darwin/PPC.  When testing the 
threads branch on this box, I get failures in two files in which I have 
not previously (or, at least, recently) gotten failures.  The failures 
occur consistently in t/src/extend.t and intermittently (sigh) in 
t/src/embed.t.

I. t/src/extend.t:  Test 19 fails

#   Failed test 'multiple Parrot_interp_new/Parrot_x_exit cycles'
#   at t/src/extend.t line 727.
# Exited with error code: [SIGNAL 6]
# Received:
# Starting interp 1
# Destroying interp 1
# Starting interp 2
# Destroying interp 2
#
# Expected:
# Starting interp 1
# Destroying interp 1
# Starting interp 2
# Destroying interp 2
#
# Looks like you failed 1 test of 19.
t/src/extend.t ......... Dubious, test returned 1 (wstat 256, 0x100)

II. t/src/embed.t:

#   Failed test 'Minimal embed, create multiple interps without giving 
1st interp to Parrot_interp_new '
#   at t/src/embed.t line 113.
# Exited with error code: [SIGNAL 6]
# Received:
# Done
# Really done
#
# Expected:
# Done
# Really done
#
Looks like you failed 1 test of 13.
t/src/embed.t .......... Dubious, test returned 1 (wstat 256, 0x100)
Failed 1/13 subtests
	(less 1 skipped subtest: 11 okay)
	
Between config/init/defaults.pm and config/init/hints/darwin.pm, our 
default build settings for Darwin are (correct me if I'm wrong):

   --cc=gcc --link=g++ --ld=g++

As time would permit, I tried both these settings and "all-gcc" and 
"all-g++" builds.  t/src/extend.t failed all three ways.  t/src/embed.t 
did *not* fail all three ways, but unfortunately I didn't have time to 
note down all the combinations.

I know that there are other contributors who work on Darwin/Intel, so 
perhaps we can get more data.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan



Some environmental information extracted from perl -V:

osname=darwin, osvers=11.4.0, archname=darwin-2level
root:xnu-1699.26.8~1release_x86_64 x86_64 '
     Users/jkeenan/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.16.0/bin'
     hint=recommended, useposix=true, d_sigaction=define
     useithreads=undef, usemultiplicity=undef
     useperlio=define, d_sfio=undef, uselargefiles=define, usesocks=undef
     use64bitint=define, use64bitall=define, uselongdouble=undef
     usemymalloc=n, bincompat5005=undef
   Compiler:
     cc='cc', ccflags ='-fno-common -DPERL_DARWIN -fno-strict-aliasing 
-pipe -fstack-protector -I/usr/local/include',
     optimize='-O3',
     cppflags='-fno-common -DPERL_DARWIN -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe 
-fstack-protector -I/usr/local/include'
     ccversion='', gccversion='4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) 
(LLVM build 2336.1.00)', gccosandvers=''
     intsize=4, longsize=8, ptrsize=8, doublesize=8, byteorder=12345678
     d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=16
     ivtype='long', ivsize=8, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t', 
lseeksize=8
     alignbytes=8, prototype=define
   Linker and Libraries:
     ld='env MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.3 cc', ldflags =' 
-fstack-protector -L/usr/local/lib'
     libpth=/usr/local/lib /usr/lib
     libs=-ldbm -ldl -lm -lutil -lc
     perllibs=-ldl -lm -lutil -lc
     libc=, so=dylib, useshrplib=false, libperl=libperl.a
     gnulibc_version=''
   Dynamic Linking:
     dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=bundle, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags=' '
     cccdlflags=' ', lddlflags=' -bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup 
-L/usr/local/lib -fstack-protector'



More information about the parrot-dev mailing list