GSoC libgit2 bindings

Jonathan "Duke" Leto jonathan at leto.net
Wed Apr 24 22:36:48 UTC 2013

Howdy Saurabh,

I am cc'ing parrot-dev, because many other people will help me be your
mentor. Also, I am going on vacation next week :)

Thanks for your interest in being a GSoC student! Are you in the #parrot
IRC channel yet?

Can you please report the problem you get with Rosella on Github?

https://github.com/Whiteknight/Rosella

Make sure to report the operating system details, compiler versions, Parrot
version (and SHA1 if using git) and version of Rosella that the problem
occured with. Feel free to put the full (possibly large) output in a Github
gist and mention it in the Github Issue that you create.

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 6:28 AM, Saurabh Kumar <saurabhgeek92 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was looking at the libgit2 bindings project, but I am unsure about the
> scope of the project and the project is marked 4/5 in difficulty. What
> all will generally be required to accomplish it? What would be my aims?

Good question! We can make this this as easy or hard as we need, to make it
doable in the timeframe we have and interesting to you.

Only do the following things:

0) report the Rosella bug
1) build parrot-libgit2 as far as you can, until you hit the problem with
Rosella. You should still be able to install and use parrot-libgit2 without
Rosella.
2) get familiar with Winxed and PIR. parrot-libgit2
3) See if the unify_build_system branch works for you:
https://github.com/letolabs/parrot-libgit2/compare/master...unify_build_system(ask
us if you need help testing a branch properly)
4) Specifically don't go into libgit2 madness until you have your version
control and build tools mastered.

Part of your proposal should be about updating parrot-libgit2 to the latest
stable release of libgit2. This will involve changing some of the API
binding function signatures, documentation, tests and examples.

Please start by making a detailed proposal that has one paragraph for each
week of the program. More detail is better than not enough.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Duke

--
Jonathan "Duke" Leto <jonathan at leto.net>
Leto Labs LLC http://letolabs.com