The Parrot is dead. Long live the Parrot?

Brian Wisti brian.wisti at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 20:21:42 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 11:37 AM, Gerhard R. <gerd.r.devel at googlemail.com>wrote:

> [ ... ]
> Assuming there's still sufficient interest, I propose the following steps
> as a way forward:
>
>   1. Fork off a Parrot-light with the sole purpose of supporting Rakudo
> [ ... ]
>   2. Start design of Parrot2
> [ ... ]
> Any comments?
>
> -- gerdr
>
> [1] https://gist.github.com/gerdr/48890726c026588535fa

Since flexibility is such a big part of Perl 6 - I've made partial stabs at
a REBOL / JSON+ implementation using Rakudo in the distant past - wouldn't
Parrot-light be an admirable enough goal? It could be fast, it could be
close to the machine, and people could confidently write their other
languages in Perl 6.

It's just that Parrot has felt like its design has already been in a
consistent state of flux. I got distracted a while back due to rumblings
about removing PIR. I wasn't opposed to removing that layer, but I wanted
to wait until the design had settled down before I got deeper into the VM.
I worry that a Parrot2 would maintain the issue of design flux.

I mean, unless "Parrot2" is just "super awesome Parrot-light."

Kind Regards,
Brian Wisti - a random geek
http://coolnamehere.com