The Parrot is dead. Long live the Parrot?

Gerhard R. gerd.r.devel at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 10 14:15:57 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 9:21 PM, Brian Wisti <brian.wisti at gmail.com> wrote:

> I worry that a Parrot2 would maintain the issue of design flux.
> I mean, unless "Parrot2" is just "super awesome Parrot-light."

The point of Parrot light is that it's based on the current codebase,
whereas Parrot2 wouldn't be.

>From Rakudo's point of view, Parrot comes with a lot of unnecessary baggage
(PCT, PGE, TGE, NQP-rx, Winxed, libffi, ...).

However, even if you remove the baggage and optimize for Rakudo (or rather
NQP) integration, Perl6-on-Parrot will still be a 2nd-class citizen as long
as no one replaces the PMC-based object system with 6model, which is imo a
major undertaking; it might be easier to restart from scratch and fix other
'mistakes' along the way. That's where Parrot2 comes in.

-- gerdr