The Parrot is dead. Long live the Parrot?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Feb 10 20:23:07 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 08:05:49PM +0000, Fields, Christopher J wrote:
> On Feb 10, 2013, at 11:16 AM, Reini Urban <rurban at x-ray.at> wrote:
> > And really, does anyone really believe that the jvm is a realistic perl6 vm?
>
> Maybe a perl6 on jvm won't be fast, but it will be available on a vm
> that has community support.

FWIW, last week Nicholas Clark posted a timing of NQP on JVM with some
nice results:

  http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl6.language/2013/02/msg35126.html

I'm not at all claiming that Nicholas' results will be representative
of NQP on JVM when its done, or of a Rakudo running on NQP on JVM.
But it's definitely a good place to be starting from.

Also, it's worth pointing out that Rakudo/NQP's targeting of JVM
is not purely (and perhaps not primarily) for speed or performance.
We feel that the Perl language really ought to have a good presence
on the JVM platform somewhere, including for the reasons that Chris
mentions in his message (tapping into existing jvm code).

Pm