The Parrot is dead. Long live the Parrot?

Allison Randal allison at parrot.org
Tue Feb 12 17:23:33 UTC 2013

On 02/12/2013 08:39 AM, Reini Urban wrote:
> FWIW: I already said it on #parrot
>
> We barely survived similar axing out `unneeded bloat` from parrot previously.
> If you want to get rid of stuff you don't understand and rakudo does not need,
> rather leave it in. None of this code made parrot or rakudo slower, it
> rather helped
> parrot to be faster and to target more HLLs.

True optimization takes work. That work increases in direct proportion
to lines of code. Leaving in a pile of code that no one remembers if we
need or not, just in case it might be useful to someone, someday,
massively increases the complexity of optimization work (as well as
maintenance and feature development).

Focusing on supporting one language means we can work a lot faster,
without getting bogged down in backward compatibility for a number of
language implementations/toolchains in various stages of completion.

The Parrot 5.0 codebase is released, for anyone to use. It's not going
anywhere. But, no one is interested in working on it anymore. The people
who are interested in working on Parrot, are working on what we want to
work on. (I'm ironically tempted to call it "Parrot 6", as I'm sure
others have already.)

Allison