RFC: Move build tools to Perl5, developer tools to Perl6

Gerhard R. gerd.r.devel at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 15 17:52:31 UTC 2013

> I'm very much against this "dynops change rarely" assumption,
> especially if Parrot is charting some new directions.  Parrot
> needs to make some big internals changes, and I suspect those
> changes will involve some significant refactoring of ops, at all
> levels.

The change would manifest as typing 'make bootstrap-dynops && make' or
`make devbuild` (or however else you'd like to factor it) after making
changes to dynops instead of just `make`. If build system and version
control were more tightly integrated, that wouldn't be necessary at
all, but we make do with what we have ;)

> The migration from nqp-rx to NQP is truly not a "case in point"
> about NQP's stability, because NQP was always expected to be a
> significant break from nqp-rx.

But it *is* the cause of the issue we're facing right now: Perl5 code
was ported to PIR and NQP(-rx) out of the desire to eat our own dog
food, and years after that decision was made we need to do the work
yet again. Perl6 seems the safer bet from that point of view.

I'm fine with going back to Perl5, but Perl6 has the benefit that
there's still a bit of eating-own-dog-food involved and it is a more
natural upgrade path from NQP-rx.

> Personally, if I'm making changes to operators in Parrot, NQP, or
> language XYZ, I don't really want to have a fully installed
> copy of Rakudo + libraries lying around to do it.

I don't think that's a message anyone wants broadcast too widely -
'Perl6 developers can't be bothered to have Perl6 installed'?!

> I also don't
> want to worry about failures caused by mixups between the
> development versions I'm working on and the installed ones I'm
> having to use (these still exist in Parrot, NQP, and Rakudo).

That is a problem that needs to be fixed, not worked around. The first
instruction in a 'How to contribute to Rakudo' guide shouldn't be
'uninstall your installed version'.

> Bottom line:  If ops2c is to remain Perl 6 code, please target
> NQP and not Rakudo.

I'm not really convinced by your arguments, but the decision is of
course not up to me.

-- gerdr