RFC: Move build tools to Perl5, developer tools to Perl6

Christoph Otto christoph at mksig.org
Fri Feb 15 19:05:50 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013, at 9:56, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 06:52:31PM +0100, Gerhard R. wrote:
> > > Personally, if I'm making changes to operators in Parrot, NQP, or
> > > language XYZ, I don't really want to have a fully installed
> > > copy of Rakudo + libraries lying around to do it.
> >
> > I don't think that's a message anyone wants broadcast too widely -
> > 'Perl6 developers can't be bothered to have Perl6 installed'?!
>
> Once again, you've assumed that Perl 6 developers will be the
> only ones using Parrot, NQP, or language XYZ.  Please stop.
>
> Pm

Here's the deal and my reasoning.  ops2c should be reverted to its p5
version.  If nobody beats me to it, I'll plan on doing this myself.

The reasoning is that requiring nqp (or worse, full Rakudo) to be
installed complicates rebuilding ops, involves more complicated runtime
requirements for a low-level component of Rakudo's dependency chain and
slows down the build.  We're already assuming that p5 is available for
the build and that assumption will not change in the foreseeable future.
 opsc (nqp-rx version) was written while we were still trying to get
away from p5 to a more self-hosted toolchain.  That's no longer a goal.
Self-hosting is great when it's viable but right now it's not the most
pragmatic option available.

Modern nqp would be an acceptable second choice but would still have
many of the dependency issues.

Christoph