Resurrection of whiteknight's eval_pmc branch

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Feb 17 17:12:52 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 05:32:14PM +0100, Gerhard R. wrote:
> He opened a corresponding Rakudo pull request 10 months ago, but was
> largely ignored because it (slightly) complicated the NQP side of
> things without providing additional value.
>
> I now added a --target=pbc frontend to both NQP and Rakudo (see
> https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/pull/102 ) so a two-step build
> process of modules is no longer necessary.

Is there an updated pull request for NQP?  The old request
at https://github.com/perl6/nqp/pull/36 can no longer be
automatically merged.

In general, there seem to be a lot of references to ".main_sub"
in the NQP patch that I'm thinking shouldn't be there, or should
be called something else.

Looking at Rakudo #102, I'm a little concerned that the patch seems
to assume that $precomp.main_sub() is an equivalent replacement
to the old $precomp[0]... if I understand the eval_pmc branch
correctly, that's not necessarily the case.

Pm