MoarVM

Allison Randal allison at parrot.org
Tue Jun 4 03:01:34 UTC 2013

On 06/03/2013 02:42 AM, Jonathan "Duke" Leto wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> There is something called MoarVM that Parrot folk should know about,
> which is "A 6model-based VM, being built for NQP and Rakudo Perl 6".
>
> https://github.com/MoarVM/MoarVM
>
> https://twitter.com/moarvm
>
> Thoughts? It is very far from running the current Rakudo, but it looks
> like what Rakudo will replace Parrot with in the future.

I think it's pretty cool that they're bootstrapping on Parrot. A decade
ago they would have been bootstrapping on Perl 5. It demonstrates
Parrot's relevance for rapid-prototyping of compilers/VMs, which is
nothing to sneeze at (and would be a reasonable direction for Parrot to
focus future efforts, if Rakudo decides not to use Parrot).

I don't know anything about their architecture, so can't comment on
pros/cons. I wish them great success. Any evolution in the VM space is a
good thing.

Allison