Parrot, Perl 6, and Rakudo

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jun 24 22:03:03 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 04:55:12PM +0200, Bart Wiegmans wrote:
> [...] Parrot and Perl6 started out together, and
> now that they have finally truly separated, it is only natural to
> reconsider why we are still around.

Rakudo and NQP make no claims to have separated from Parrot, and I
don't think that "now that they have finally truly separated" should
quite yet be taken as an established fact.  It's not the official
position of the Rakudo development team.  Thus far this notion of
a "split" appears to be the public position of mainly one Parrot
developer/leader (admittedly one of the most active ones).

If Parrot decides to diverge from Rakudo and Perl 6, that's entirely
Parrot's choice to make (as I've held for quite some time), and we'll
find ways to work with whatever happens.  It's not Rakudo's goal to
stand in the way of Parrot's evolution, nor is it our goal to
eliminate Parrot as one of Rakudo's useful backends.

Pm