Parrot 5.2.0 "Stuffed Parrot" Released!

Bruce Gray bruce.gray at acm.org
Sun Mar 24 05:04:44 UTC 2013

I am not dead yet                               I can dance and I can sing
I am not dead yet                              I can do the Highland Fling
I am not dead yet                                     No need to go to bed
No need to call the doctor                          Cause I'm not yet dead
    -- Spamalot

On behalf of the Parrot team, I'm proud to announce Parrot 5.2.0, also known
as "Stuffed Parrot".  Parrot (http://parrot.org/) is a virtual machine aimed
at running all dynamic languages.

Parrot 5.2.0 is available on Parrot's FTP site
(ftp://ftp.parrot.org/pub/parrot/releases/devel/5.2.0/), or by following the
download instructions at http://parrot.org/download.  For those who would like
to develop on Parrot, or help develop Parrot itself, we recommend using Git to
retrieve the source code to get the latest and best Parrot code.

Parrot 5.2.0 News:
    - Core
        + IO now only syncs buffers for the IO types where syncing makes sense.
            = PIO_VF_SYNC_IO flag added
    - Build
        + installable_pdump now has the correct rpath (blib corrected to lib).
    - Libraries
        + Tcl/Glob.pir has been removed. (PGE/Glob.pir remains intact)
    - Ecosystem
        + All Parrot tarballs are now symlinked to the 'all' directory,
          regardless of their true homes ('devel' or 'stable'), to better
          allow for automated downloads.
            ftp://ftp.parrot.org/pub/parrot/releases/all/

The SHA256 message digests for the downloadable tarballs are:
1245d11f2b2ea44e6465aff6da5a533324d69b6eb3ddf7d84e81385ea95150ad parrot-5.2.0.tar.gz
0c538d780f9c70c510e142a8a663c30474125c9fcf9fe25d2129e68fc7baec8d parrot-5.2.0.tar.bz2

Many thanks to all our contributors for making this possible, and our sponsors
for supporting this project.  Our next scheduled release is 16 Apr 2013.

Enjoy!

--
Bruce Gray (Util of PerlMonks)