[members] update on Parrot Foundation status

Allison Randal allison at parrot.org
Tue Apr 16 21:55:58 UTC 2013

Hi all, I've got another update...

On 01/11/2013 04:33 PM, Allison Randal wrote:

> Any general preferences on
> Apache versus the Conservancy, or details you'd like to see or discuss?

A third option: I've been chatting with the Perl Foundation board, and
they're open to hosting Parrot again. In many ways this would be simpler
than the other two options:

- The transfer could be completed in a few weeks instead of 9 months
(for Software Freedom Conservancy) or several years (for Apache).

- After the transfer, there would be no additional work required from
Parrot project members to maintain the legal infrastructure. (For SFC or
Apache we'd still need people with time to handle administrative trivia.)

- Code movement between Parrot and Rakudo would be easier if they were
both managed by the same entity.

Moving to TPF now doesn't have to be the final stop, we could always
move to SFC or Apache later if it looks better. But, it would allow us
to quickly tidy up the current mess, so it's not lingering over the
Parrot project like a dark cloud.

Does anyone have any questions for the TPF board, or discussion points
on how this might work?

Allison