[Parrot-users] NQP replacing PCT/PGE - was Re: Parrot 1.8.0 "Zygodactyly" Released!

Bob Wilkinson bob at fourtheye.org
Wed Nov 18 18:12:47 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 02:39:07PM -0800, Jonathan Leto wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Shane Calimlim <ImustDIE at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Just a quick, random, question: I noticed under NQP it lists "- NQP has a
> > new PAST-based regex engine (intended to replace PGE)."  I'm just curious
> > whether this means PGE is intended to be replaced globally, and if so, why?
> > And if not, why not use it in NQP?  (I have no dispute, just curious)
>
> NQP now has the power to replace (most of) the Parrot Compiler Toolkit
> (PCT), which uses Parrot Grammar Engine (PGE). This doesn't mean that
> everything will immediately be converted, but HLL's starting now can
> use NQP instead of PCT+PGE.

<SNIP>

> The best way to think about it is: NQP now provides a much nicer
> interface for HLL developers than PCT + PGE does currently. You can
> still use PCT and PGE, but there is now an easier-to-use solution.

Hello

     I was just working my way through the tutorials in
examples/languages/squaak/doc/ which discuss PCT. Should I stop now?

Is there a similar resource (to the squaak tutorials) which will
give me similar information for writing a parser using NQP, rather
than PCT?

I will google - but a canonical reference from someone who knows will
be more reliable.

> Duke

Bob
--
"If you propose to speak, always ask yourself, is it true, is it necessary, is it kind?"
-- Buddha