[Parrot-users] make error

Paul Simon getpsimon at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 18 23:44:15 UTC 2009

> > On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 12:51 AM, Paul Simon wrote:
> > > Hi List,
> > >
> > > I'm having a tough time installing parrot-1.8.0 on debian 5.0. During make I
>
> > run into the following Error:
> > >
> > > Invoking Parrot to generate runtime/parrot/include/config.fpmc --cross your
> > fingers
> > > ./miniparrot config_lib.pasm > runtime/parrot/include/config.fpmc
> > > ./miniparrot: error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so.42: cannot
> > open shared object file: No such file or directory
> > > gmake: *** [runtime/parrot/include/config.fpmc] Error 127
> > >
> > > Could somebody help guide me to a solution? Or shine some light on this
> error?
> > I've never installed parrot.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Paul

> > I have had this problem on OS X when there was an installed parrotlib
> > in my path that was linked against an older version of ICU; Any chance
> > that there's another copy of parrot left over somewhere?
> >
> > --
> > Will "Coke" Coleda
>
> I actually built a fresh copy of debian then icu because I was afraid that I
> somehow mangled icu by building a newer version on top of an older one. So,
> there *shouldn't* be any older versions of anything now.
>
> Do you know if I picked the correct icu source at
> http://download.icu-project.org/files/icu4c/4.2.1/icu4c-4_2_1-src.tgz?

Digging around some more I realized the libiuuc.so wasn't being found. I added /usr/local/lib, where libicuuc.so is located, to LD_LIBRARY_PATH then parrot got built passing all tests. Now I have: This is Parrot version 1.8.0 built for amd64-linux.

I thought running perl Configure.pl --icu-config=/usr/local/bin/icu-configwould have picked up libicuuc.so. What is that flag used for?

Anyway, it appears to be working. Thanks for pointing in the right direction.

Paul