[Parrot-users] Optimized Builds WAS: Re: Compiling Parrot 1.4.0

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 15:41:48 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Dwight Schauer <dschauer at gmail.com> wrote:
> That being said, code that is not routinely built with -O3 -Wall
> -Werror will can time accumulate logic errors. (Once again, this is
> from my experience, so I can't speak for everyone's code base).
>
> For that matter, in my opinion C code that can't build and pass all
> unit tests with "g++ -O3 -Wall -Werror" is questionable code*. (If
> un-munged function symbols are needed, source files can always be
> wrapped in 'extern "C"').

I agree that compilation with aggressive optimizations should be a
routine thing in Parrot development. However, there are some cases
(such as in the GC's stackwalking code) that are very difficult to
have passed through the optimizer unscathed.

Anybody with any expertise in this area should take a look at the
routines in src/gc/system.c to see what I am talking about. If -O3
causes errors, I might suggest that this file is a large source of
them. (I know this is a topic more suitable for the parrot-dev than
the parrot-users list, just sayin').

--Andrew WHitworth