[Parrot-users] are the squaak tutorials outdated?

Jonathan Leto jonathan at leto.net
Thu Feb 4 00:19:26 UTC 2010

Howdy,

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Hugo Arts <hugo.yoshi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I recently decided to try my hand at creating a small programming
> language, and since I didn't want to write an entire VM of my own,
> Parrot seemed like a logical platform to target. I've been reading
> through the Squaak tutorials, and it seems to be fairly palatable so
> far.
>
> However, looking at files created by mk_language_shell.pl, it seems to
> me there has been a fair amount of change in the way parrot compilers
> are built nowadays. Specifically I see an <EXPR> rule that I can't
> place, there's a few "rule term:sym" type lines I don't quite grok,
> and a few other mysterious details.
>
> Am I just missing something, or am I looking at the wrong
> documentation? And if so, is there more up-to-date information
> available?

You are correct, the Squaak tutorials are slightly outdated. You
probably want to use the

tools/dev/create_language.pl

script instead of mk_language_shell.pl . create_language.pl creates a
language shell with our newer toolset. To be fair, there are not very
good docs yet for our newer tools. This mailing list is the best place
to ask further questions. I have been meaning to write a guide for our
newer tools and your questions really highlight this. Please let us
know how create_language.pl works for you.

Good luck and have fun!

> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Hugo Arts

Duke