[Parrot-users] using create_language.pl

Parth Malwankar parth.malwankar at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 16:57:57 UTC 2010

Hello,

I downloaded and installed parrot-2.1.1 tarball (on linux) and tried
using create_language.pl.
I seem to be stuck in an embarrassingly early stage of use :)

For some reason I am unable to get it to work.
I am seeing a "Parrot revision r42892 required (currently r0)" error
when I try "perl Configure.pl".
Providing --parrot-config doesn't seem to work. --gen-parrot works but
it downloads and
installs parrot 1.8.0.

What am I doing wrong? Full log below.

Also, what script should I be using create_language.pl or
mk_language_shell.pl. The docs
in the pl file seem to indicate they are doing the same thing. I see
the same error with the
language shell created with mk_language_shell.pl.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Parth

[tmp]% perl ~/install/parrot/lib/tools/dev/create_language.pl testlang
~/tmp/testlang
creating /home/parthm/tmp/testlang/
creating /home/parthm/tmp/testlang/README
creating /home/parthm/tmp/testlang/Configure.pl
creating /home/parthm/tmp/testlang/build/
creating /home/parthm/tmp/testlang/build/Makefile.in
creating /home/parthm/tmp/testlang/build/gen_parrot.pl
creating /home/parthm/tmp/testlang/src/
creating /home/parthm/tmp/testlang/src/testlang.pir
creating /home/parthm/tmp/testlang/src/testlang/
creating /home/parthm/tmp/testlang/src/testlang/Grammar.pm
creating /home/parthm/tmp/testlang/src/testlang/Actions.pm
creating /home/parthm/tmp/testlang/src/testlang/Compiler.pm
creating /home/parthm/tmp/testlang/src/testlang/Runtime.pm
creating /home/parthm/tmp/testlang/src/gen/
creating /home/parthm/tmp/testlang/src/gen/.gitignore
creating /home/parthm/tmp/testlang/t/
creating /home/parthm/tmp/testlang/t/harness
creating /home/parthm/tmp/testlang/t/00-sanity.t
creating /home/parthm/tmp/testlang/build/PARROT_REVISION

Your new language has been created in the /home/parthm/tmp/testlang
directory.
To do an initial build and test of the language:

    cd /home/parthm/tmp/testlang
    perl Configure.pl [--gen-parrot]
    make
    make test

[tmp]% cd testlang
[testlang]% ls
build/  Configure.pl  README  src/  t/
[testlang]% perl Configure.pl

Reading configuration information from parrot_config ...
===SORRY!===
Parrot revision r42892 required (currently r0)

To automatically checkout (svn) and build a copy of parrot r42892,
try re-running Configure.pl with the '--gen-parrot' option.
Or, use the '--parrot-config' option to explicitly specify
the location of parrot_config to be used to build testlang.

[testlang]% perl Configure.pl --parrot-config=/home/parthm/install/
parrot/bin/parrot_config

Reading configuration information from /home/parthm/install/parrot/bin/
parrot_config ...
===SORRY!===