[Parrot-users] What is the point of <sym> ?

Austin Hastings Austin_Hastings at Yahoo.com
Mon Sep 6 15:53:46 UTC 2010

Inspired by the ongoing compiler tools thread, there's this niggling
little question I have had in the back of my head:

What is the point/value of the <sym> token in a proto-regex block?

That is, when you say

I get that <sym> is short-hand for 'bar', but so what? Is it expected
that somehow multiple rules will point to that code, and that <sym> will
discriminate them, or what? Is there a benefit to using <sym> in terms
of implementation or performance?

Thanks,

=Austin