[Parrot-users] VM target languages.

Jonathan "Duke" Leto jonathan at leto.net
Sun Mar 6 15:45:32 UTC 2011

Howdy,

Parrot is optimized for dynamic languages, so yes, it would be possible, but
the JVM might be a better fit.

That being said, people are starting to use the JVM for dynamic languages
(such as Groovy).

It all comes down to the fact that static/dynamic is a false duality. It is
really a spectrum. Which side of the spectrum are you on?

Duke

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 4:00 AM, Bondor Sergiu <kr4sus at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I have a task to build a statically typed programming language.I would like
> to use an existing bytecode and virtual machine as the target platform of my
> language. The question would be wheather Parrot VM is a good choise or
> should I consider better the Java VirtualMachine and java bytecode, which is
> specifically desined for statically typed languages. From what I've read ,
> Parrot is only well suited for dynamically typed languages, so I'm assumming
> that it could be possible to build my language for Parrot but it would be
> inneficient.

Jonathan "Duke" Leto
jonathan at leto.net
http://leto.net