[Parrot-users] C# 4.0 on Parrot?

David nonot100 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 05:02:55 UTC 2011

>>> If you are interested in putting together a C# compiler, it would be
>>> an interesting project and hopefully not too hard to get started.
>>>

>> I'm not sure we have the same definition of "not too hard". Writing a
>> compiler does not seem easy to me.  Willing to read over any tutorials
>> / guides you suggest, though.
>
> Come on, as a Perl 5 hacker, show some hubris! You'd be surprised how
> easy it can be to get to the point of a usable subset language. Most
> of the difficulty in porting a language is in runtime semantics which
> differ subtly.

As much as I'd like to see C# ported over, I think that my helping to
get Python/Perl/Ruby support would be far more valuable the the Parrot
project.

Once there is a critical mass of dynamic language users on Parrot, I
can see more support/help for a C# effort.

> This is a ~10 year old project which has seen a lot of turnover. We
> made mistakes and false starts and learned from them. New developers
> came, old ones went; and with them came and went both objectives and
> plans for accomplishing this. , but what exactly that means and how
> we should get there is different to the current developers.
>
> it is understandable that you may find Parrot's ecosystem
> lacking in some way. I would encourage you to jump in and implement
> the features you desire the most, as it is the best way to ensure that
> your goals for this project are met.
>

> Parrot is and continues to be a cross-language VM. We are continuously
> making improvements, and many ongoing projects are in direct support
> of better support for Perl 6, Ruby, and Python. For example, we're
> currently redesigning the internals of our object system with the aim
> of supporting the different semantics expected by Ruby and Javascript.
>
> With regards to your concerns over Python, another implementation is
> being organised, but is mostly in the planning stages at the moment.
> As with other areas of the Parrot ecosystem, your participation would
> be appreciated.

Is there a road-map, or even loose plan, for what it will take to get
Parrot to run:

1. The "Big 3" (P/P/R) dynamic languages + their core libraries?

2. Language-only implementations of several popular,
genre-representing, non-"traditional dynamic" languages?  (Perhaps:
C#, Haskell, LISP, JavaScript)

You also mentioned that: "Parrot still aims to be a decent runtime to
target for dynamic languages".    Was that just a colloquial phrase,
or has it actually been determined that Parrot can be a "good /
decent", but never "great" VM?  If so, why?

Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you,
David