[Parrot-users] Installation troubles

Rob Peters thewinterlion at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 20 20:54:22 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm a self-taught coder, most of my experience in Python (Django) and
Java (GWT). I've always been fascinated by the art of coding, and I've
taken a real interest in dynamic languages (particularly Smalltalk). For
the last few years I've been playing around with ideas for "the perfect
language" (I know, I know, there's no such thing, but it's fun to think
about). I was pretty sure I didn't have what it took to make one, and I
definitely didn't have the time to give to the project anyways. However,
I suddenly have some time, and so last week I thought I'd investigate a
little further.

I looked at Parrot a few years ago, but didn't really understand what it
was. Investigating virtual machines for dynamic languages this last week
I came across Parrot again, and this time really got stuck in. I think
I've read most of the documentation available on the web site, and have
really enjoyed it. I think it's the perfect tool for my purposes.

Now, my problem. I downloaded the most recent ActiveState Perl and
installed it. I downloaded the pre-packaged Windows installer for the
most recent Parrot release and installed it. I use Windows 7 64-bit.

I ran the mk_language_shell.pl command for my new language (it's called
"Roar", in case anyone's wondering) and the folder layout was created.
However, when trying to run parrot setup.pir test. I get an error:

"load_bytecode" couldn't find file 'distutils.pbc'
current instr.: 'main' pc 6 (setup.pir:23)

Now, I'm no rocket scientist, but it looks to me like the Parrot folder
isn't on the path, but I looked at my PATH variable, and there is a
Parrot entry: C:\Users\<<username>>\Dropbox\Parrot-3.2.0\bin;

I made a small test file called test.roar which contains only the line
"say "You just roared!";" (without the outside quotes) When I type
"parrot roar.pbc test.roar" (again, without the quotes) I get the
following error: "Parrot VM: Can't stat , code 34. Could not load packfile"

Can anyone assist me with what I'm doing wrong? My internet searches
haven't turned up anything useful.

I'm looking forward to getting more involved in the Parrot community.
Thanks for the wonderful tool.

Kind regards,
Rob