[Parrot-users] Installation troubles

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Mon Mar 21 13:49:26 UTC 2011

On Mar 21, 2011, at 8:00 AM, parrot-users-request at lists.parrot.org
wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 14:54:22 -0600
> From: Rob Peters <thewinterlion at googlemail.com>
> To: parrot-users at lists.parrot.org
> Subject: [Parrot-users] Installation troubles
>
> Now, my problem. I downloaded the most recent ActiveState Perl and
> installed it. I downloaded the pre-packaged Windows installer for the
> most recent Parrot release and installed it. I use Windows 7 64-bit.
>
> I ran the mk_language_shell.pl command for my new language (it's
> called
> "Roar", in case anyone's wondering) and the folder layout was created.
> However, when trying to run parrot setup.pir test. I get an error:
>
> "load_bytecode" couldn't find file 'distutils.pbc'
> current instr.: 'main' pc 6 (setup.pir:23)
>
> Now, I'm no rocket scientist, but it looks to me like the Parrot
> folder
> isn't on the path, but I looked at my PATH variable, and there is a
> Parrot entry: C:\Users\<<username>>\Dropbox\Parrot-3.2.0\bin;

I can't be of much help to you, as I don't have access to Windows and
have not worked on ActivePerl in 6 years.  I believe most of our
developers on Windows use Strawberry Perl.

In any case, my hunch is that the fact that you have a Parrot entry
in your PATH variable is tangential to the problem.  You're getting
an error message when you run the parrot executable, which implies
that you're not having any problem finding that program.

I tried this on my Linux box:

$ perl tools/dev/mk_language_shell.pl Roar
creating roar/
creating roar/README
creating roar/setup.pir
creating roar/PARROT_REVISION
no doc: skipping roar/doc/Roar.pod
no doc: skipping roar/doc/running.pod
no dynext: skipping roar/dynext/.ignore
creating roar/roar/
creating roar/roar/.ignore
creating roar/roar.pir
creating roar/src/
creating roar/src/roar.pir
creating roar/src/Roar/
creating roar/src/Roar/Grammar.pm
creating roar/src/Roar/Actions.pm
creating roar/src/Roar/Compiler.pm
creating roar/src/Roar/Runtime.pm
no pmc: skipping roar/src/pmc/roar.pmc
no ops: skipping roar/src/ops/roar.ops
creating roar/t/
creating roar/t/00-sanity.t

$ cd -
/home/jimk/gitwork/parrot/roar

$ ../parrot setup.pir
"/home/jimk/gitwork/parrot/parrot-nqp" --target=pir --output=src/
gen_actions.pir  src/Roar/Actions.pm
"/home/jimk/gitwork/parrot/parrot-nqp" --target=pir --output=src/
gen_compiler.pir  src/Roar/Compiler.pm
"/home/jimk/gitwork/parrot/parrot-nqp" --target=pir --output=src/
gen_grammar.pir  src/Roar/Grammar.pm
"/home/jimk/gitwork/parrot/parrot-nqp" --target=pir --output=src/
gen_runtime.pir  src/Roar/Runtime.pm
"/home/jimk/gitwork/parrot/parrot" -o roar/roar.pbc src/roar.pir
"/home/jimk/gitwork/parrot/parrot" -o roar.pbc roar.pir
"/home/jimk/gitwork/parrot/pbc_to_exe" roar.pbc --install && strip
installable_roar
cc -o roar.o -I"/home/jimk/gitwork/parrot/include"  -pipe -fstack-
protector -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -
D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DHASATTRIBUTE_CONST  -
DHASATTRIBUTE_DEPRECATED  -DHASATTRIBUTE_MALLOC  -
DHASATTRIBUTE_NONNULL  -DHASATTRIBUTE_NORETURN  -DHASATTRIBUTE_PURE  -
DHASATTRIBUTE_UNUSED  -DHASATTRIBUTE_WARN_UNUSED_RESULT  -
DHASATTRIBUTE_HOT  -DHASATTRIBUTE_COLD  -DHAS_GETTEXT    -c roar.c
Compiled: roar.o
cc -o installable_roar "roar.o" "/home/jimk/gitwork/parrot/src/
install_config.o" -Wl,-rpath="/usr/local/lib" -L"/home/jimk/gitwork/
parrot/blib/lib" -lparrot -Wl,-E  -fstack-protector -L/usr/local/lib -
Wl,-E   -lnsl -ldl -lm -lcrypt -lutil -lpthread -lrt -lgmp -
lreadline  -lffi   -lpthread -lm -L/usr/lib  -licuuc -licudata -
lpthread -lm
Linked: installable_roar

$ find . -type f
./README
./setup.pir
./PARROT_REVISION
./roar/.ignore
./roar/roar.pbc
./roar.pir
./src/roar.pir
./src/Roar/Grammar.pm
./src/Roar/Actions.pm
./src/Roar/Compiler.pm
./src/Roar/Runtime.pm
./src/gen_actions.pir
./src/gen_compiler.pir
./src/gen_grammar.pir
./src/gen_runtime.pir
./t/00-sanity.t
./roar.pbc
./roar.c
./installable_roar
./roar.o

(../parrot setup.pir turned out to be equivalent to the ../parrot
setup.pir build described in the POD for setup.pir.)

So I'm not able to reproduce your problem given my different
environment.  I suggest you log on to IRC channel #parrot
(irc.perl.org) and see if someone can help you.

Thank you very much.

Jim Keenan