[Parrot-users] Parrot Questions

Jonathan "Duke" Leto jonathan at leto.net
Tue Jun 14 01:47:54 UTC 2011

Howdy Robert,

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 7:38 AM, Robert Johnson <bobjohnson11 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all -
> I have a couple of questions about parrot.
> 1. Are smoke test still being conducted?  I ran the smoke test successfully
> but received the following error about the Smolder server:
> Could not upload report to Smolder at http://smolder.parrot.org
> HTTP CODE: 503 (Service Temporarily Unavailable)
> make: *** [smolder_test] Error 9

We would very much like for smoke tests to be possible, but currently our
Smolder server is down. The best that is possible to do now is send an email to
parrot-dev if you notice failing tests, and give us all the details.

> 2. Can parrot be compiled for ARM Devices?

In theory, it should, but it isn't done often. Our build system doesn't allow
cross-compiling, but you could use qemu to compile parrot for ARM and then
transfer it to some kind of embedded ARM device.

I attempted add a BitBake recipe for Parrot to OpenEmbedded a while ago, but
didn't have the tuits to finish.

There are several other people interested in getting Parrot working on
ARM devices, so if you have other ideas, we are all ears.

> 3. Are the following the best place to start learning how to develop a
> language to target parrot ?
> http://coolnamehere.com/geekery/parrot/learn/
> http://parrot.org/dev/docs/user

Yes, these are very good places. Also, this is a great intro to the
Parrot Compiler Toolkit:

https://github.com/benabik/cish

> Any help would be gladly appreciated.
> Robert
> (irc: RobertLJ)

You are always welcome to ask any questions in #parrot on
irc.parrot.org and/or send emails to parrot-dev if you have questions
about Parrot internals.

Duke

--
Jonathan "Duke" Leto <jonathan at leto.net>