[Parrot-users] does, multi sub, or.... more language philosophy

Jay Emerson jayemerson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 17:54:34 UTC 2011

Thanks to Will Coleda for letting me about 'does' (which is terribly
hard to google, sadly), and providing a concise multi sub example as
an alternative.  I see how both work.  The language I'm working on in
its most basic form (R) has no scalar:

a = 5
b = 1:3

Both are vectors, the first of length 1, the second of length 3.  I
would think there is a certain simplicity to this, as subsequent
methods would only be needed for arrays (handling the length
appropriately for the context) rather than treating the former as an
object of a different type.  However, maybe I'm thinking at the
"high-level" of the user rather than the "low-level" of the
implementation of the language.  Any advice?

Jay

--
John W. Emerson (Jay)
Associate Professor of Statistics