[Parrot-users] installable_<language name> error while loading shared libraries: libparrot.so.4.0.0

Zack S. zack.slayton at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 22:01:57 UTC 2012

Hi all!

I'm working on a toy language called Blu for educational purposes, and
I'm following the Squaak tutorial [1] to get things off the ground.
However, I've hit an early snag. I haven't made any changes to the
Grammar or Actions modules (I'm still on chapter one of the tutorial),
and things seem to work with the exception of the installable_blu file
that was generated.

~/blu/src$ parrot setup.pir
~/blu/src$ parrot setup.pir test
t/00-sanity.t .. ok
All tests successful.
Files=1, Tests=4,  0.045 wallclock secs
Result: PASS
~/blu/src$ cat test.blu
say "Hello, Parrot VM.";
~/blu/src$ ./installable_blu test.blu
./installable_blu: error while loading shared libraries: libparrot.so.
4.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
~/blu/src$ parrot blu.pir test.blu
Hello, Parrot VM.
~/blu/src$ parrot blu.pbc test.blu
Hello, Parrot VM.

As you can see, Parrot is able to run test.blu using blu.pir and
blu.pbc. However, when I try to use installable_blu as per the
tutorial's instructions, I'm told it can't find libparrot.so.4.0.0. I
ran 'make test' during the Parrot install/build process and it didn't
complain. Am I missing a setting in my environment? Am I following the
correct version of the documentation?

Thanks for any insight you can offer,
Zack

[1] http://parrot.github.com/html/examples/languages/squaak/doc/tutorial_episode_1.pod.html