[Parrot-users] List needs new admin

Darren Duncan darren at darrenduncan.net
Fri May 29 22:03:37 UTC 2015

On 2015-05-29 2:24 PM, Allison Randal wrote:
> On 05/29/2015 12:53 PM, Darren Duncan wrote:
>> If this list shuts down, will there still be archives of past messages
>> online like are typical of Perl community lists?  At
>> http://lists.parrot.org/mailman/listinfo for example?
>>
>> Broadly speaking, as it seems the Parrot Foundation is effectively being
>> merged into the Perl foundation (asset transfer plus shutdown), do any
>> of the lists.parrot.org lists still serve a purpose or have they been
>> replaced? Regardless of whether they continue, I would like to see
>> read-only archives maintained somewhere public, among the Perl
>> Foundation assets.
>
> The Members list and Directors list are shutting down, since those two
> groups don't exist anymore. Developers and Users lists make sense to
> continue.

So it looks like parrot-dev and parrot-users are the main ones in use, albeit
sparse, and parrot-commits gets activity too, though I think that one could be
halted if no one needs it versus just checking the version control.

> OSU OSL has done a great job hosting the Parrot lists, and there isn't
> any reason we need to move them to be hosted on TPF infrastructure. If
> we did move them, we'd migrate the lists with the full archive intact,
> so no information would be lost.

Sounds good.

>> I am willing to take over from you as list admin for this or any other
>> lists.parrot.org lists, at least temporarily to buy time, at which point
>> I would then be the one responsible for dealing with succession.
>>
>> This parrot-users is the only one I'm currently subscribed to.
>>
>> Note that I have successfully fulfilled this role for the DBD-SQLite
>> list since its inception hosted by Shadowcat.
>
> Seems like you'd be a good fit! How "temporary" is the offer to moderate?

That depends how much work it is.  Mainly I would expect a mostly hands-off role
where most things are automatic and I just attend to things rarely.

One main policy I will want to institute, if it isn't that way already, is that
only list members may post to the lists.

The way DBD-SQLite has worked from the start, as I recall, is that list
subscribers posts go through immediately/automatically, and any post attempts by
non-subscribers always go on the moderation queue.  Depending on posting
frequency, the latter list may not be processed for several days at a time.
Because except for 1 or 2 cases, those were always spam.  The number of
non-subscriber posts also tends to be maybe 1 a week anyway.

Basically what I don't want to maintain is a situation where it is normal for
non-subscribers to post legitimate messages, as is the case with a number of
Perl 5 lists, and so it is expected to have almost real-time moderation.  I can
let those through, with delays, but I would ask any such posters to subscribe to
the list.  They can always use the 'no mail' option.

Since my own personal interest in Parrot these days is more at the NQP level,
which is now agnostic to it, I wouldn't be reading every message of a busy list.

-- Darren Duncan