[Parrot-users] List needs new admin

Allison Randal allison at parrot.org
Fri May 29 22:24:51 UTC 2015

On 05/29/2015 03:03 PM, Darren Duncan wrote:
> That depends how much work it is.  Mainly I would expect a mostly
> hands-off role where most things are automatic and I just attend to
> things rarely.

Andrew will know more about the volume he's been dealing with as moderator.

> One main policy I will want to institute, if it isn't that way already,
> is that only list members may post to the lists.
>
> The way DBD-SQLite has worked from the start, as I recall, is that list
> subscribers posts go through immediately/automatically, and any post
> attempts by non-subscribers always go on the moderation queue.
> Depending on posting frequency, the latter list may not be processed for
> several days at a time. Because except for 1 or 2 cases, those were
> always spam.  The number of non-subscriber posts also tends to be maybe
> 1 a week anyway.
>
> Basically what I don't want to maintain is a situation where it is
> normal for non-subscribers to post legitimate messages, as is the case
> with a number of Perl 5 lists, and so it is expected to have almost
> real-time moderation.  I can let those through, with delays, but I would
> ask any such posters to subscribe to the list.  They can always use the
> 'no mail' option.

AFAIK, this is already true, just for spam control.

I don't see any problem with making it generally known that moderation
may not happen every hour of every day, and encouraging anyone who plans
to communicate regularly on the lists to subscribe. If the lag starts to
cause problems for communication on the lists, we can ask more list
members to join in moderation activity.

Allison